Cycling is among the best activities to get your heart pumping without risking injuries to your joints. While indoor exercise bikes take up smaller space compared to other gym equipment, they can still occupy quite a lot in their fixed base – which is why folding bikes can be quite useful.
In this article, we look at several of the best folding bikes, and what you can consider the next time you go shopping for them.
Here is a comparison table of the Best folding recumbent exercise bike
Max. user weight (lbs.)
Check price on Amazon
Marcy ME-709 recumbent
55.5 x 25 x 37.5
Sunny Health & Fitness folding bike
18 x 21 x 54
33 x 19 x 46
EXERPEUTIC Folding bike
22 x 20 x 55.5
EXERPEUTIC ExerWorK 1000 fold desk
45.3 x 25 x 51.3
Marcy Recumbent ME-709 – our pick
This is the most affordable recumbent bike on the list, and is quite comfortable in order to ensure the best user experience. The handlebars that are covered with foam are quite comfortable to handle, and the padded seat ensures that the bike is quite nice to use.
- Eight resistance levels, magnetic mechanism
- Step through design of the frame
- 14-gauge steel tubing
- Computer screen that is easy to read
- Padded seat (uses high-density foam)
- Counterbalanced pedal system
The high-backed seating has plenty of high-density foam, as well as counter-balanced pedals and foam-covered handlebars for a more comfortable experience. However, the disadvantage is the lack of pulse grips, so it will not work for you if you are looking for a recumbent bike that has heart rate monitoring as part of its features.
The weight limit is 300 pounds, although the height limits are between 5’2” to 6’0”. The good thing is that the console screen is quite easy to read, and it displays important metrics such as calories burned, speed, and time as well as distance coverage. It will also allow you to store more than one user profile for convenience.
It has measurements of 55.5 x 37.5 x 25 (L x H x W). Its weight is 60 pounds, and the addition of transport wheels makes it easier to move and store. The design is heavy-duty, and the step-through design makes it easy to jump on or off without the risk of injuries.
In addition, it is great to note that there are counterbalanced pedals, which give you added control and support, while the adjustable foot straps help you remain secure as you pedal through.
- Can adjust to fit a range of height differences
- Step-through design
- You can exercise while standing or sitting, due to the two bar placements
- Easy to assemble, use and store
- Lacks a pulse monitor
- It does not have pre-programmed workouts
The model does a good job of allowing you to do a low impact aerobic activity without hurting your legs and joints. However, it has issues with adjustment of the seat, which can be frustrating if you are not patient with it.
Sunny Health & Fitness Comfort XL folding exercise bike – great comfort option
This is a great passage level bike3 that features interesting aspects in its moderateness and supine seating arrangement. There are additional features that make it quite attractive, such as those we will highlight below.
- Belt drive that supports up to 10 magnetic resistance levels
- XL padded seat for maximum comfort includes a water bottle holder
- Performance monitor
- Bike is fully adjustable by 3 levels
- Adjustable strap pedals to promote balance, foam coating on handles to support stability
- Max weight 300 lbs., flywheel weight 3lbs
- Dimensions 18L x 21W x 54H inches
The design of the bike takes on a semi-recumbent look with a minimized approach. The gauge is about 17kg (38lbs.), and you can fold the parts easily and store it without any issues. This makes it land on the list of the best collapsing bikes available in the market.
Since it has a belt-drive mechanism, it will give you plenty of solace even as you pursue your objectives of staying fit, and works well for small apartments. The size of the bike does not occupy too much space, and this also makes its portability fairly straightforward. It is also quite lightweight, weighing 38 lbs., and has two stabilizing bars that help you stay comfortable while doing your exercise routines.
The padding is also quite good – featuring extra sized padding, it is more than enough to suit your butt and will allow you to use it for extended periods without feeling exhausted. The arm bars on each side of the seat are also movable and will give you extra help to pedal harder and faster effortlessly.
- The mechanism is very quiet
- It is easy to use and adjust the positions
- Lightweight and portable, easy to store
- The counter for calories burnt is off the actual measurements
This is a good purchase and will work if you are not using it for very intense cardio exercises, instead as a supplement for your fitness regime.#
EXERPEUTIC 400XL 300SR folding bike – good for compact spaces
This has many advantages that come with its use – not only does it meet all the expectations from a good recumbent bike, but it also has a fold-up option that makes it very easy to store and move around.
- Large seat with plenty of padding
- Adjustment of the seat to accommodate users between 5’2” and 6’2”
- Weight capacity of 300 lbs.
- Magnetic brake resistance, 8 resistance levels
- 6 programs available
- Includes transportation wheels
Thanks to the features like the padded seat, large pedals (straps included), side handlebars that are level with your hips and the full backrest, it is a safe choice that helps you remain comfortable and keeps good form as you use it.
The bike uses a magnetic tension system, which is in 8 levels. This allows you to change the intensity of your workouts as much or as little as you want. For a quiet, smooth ride, the v-belt drive system and the precision balanced flywheel make the experience as smooth as possible.
In addition, it also includes a health monitor that keeps track of your fitness progress through its easy-to-read LCD computer screen. The pulse sensors are also conveniently located, right on the handlebars, to increase the accuracy.
- Very compact design and easy to fold up and store
- It is the most practical option on the list
- Very affordable
- It might be too small for large-bodied people
- It does not have as much intense workouts in some cases
This model has plenty of great aspects about it, and its compact nature is a major bonus. It is a good addition to your home gym and will be a great option for someone on a smaller budget.
EXERPEUTIC Folding magnetic exercise bike – best for those on a budget
The idea behind the makers of this bike is to save space in your home, which is something a traditional bike cannot achieve – and that is why it exists. It is very affordable, yet has a variety of features that are sure to impress you in many ways and make your workouts much easier.
- Ability to support up to 300 lbs.
- LCD screen measuring 3.3 x 1.5”, which is easy to read. Indicates distance, speed, time, time, pulse, and calories.
- 8 levels of magnetic resistance, 3-piece crank system
- Fits user heights of between 5’3” to 6’1”
- Folded dimensions are 22” L x 20” W x 55.5” H
The design of the bike is compact, which makes it quite an easy option for storage, and will work for you if you have little space to spare. However, the weight capacity is quite extensive for a small-looking bike – it can support up to 300 pounds comfortably, which is quite an impressive feat.
The flywheel, on the other hand, is not the strongest aspect of the bike as it is lightweight and small. However, it still does a good job despite the limitations, and the bike will have a quiet mechanism thanks to the combination of the flywheel and V-belt rather than a chain drive.
The resistance levels are not many compared to some of the premium exercise bikes, so it will not be a good choice if you are looking for very intense workouts. If you are keeping up on general fitness though, it will be sufficient in many ways. On the other hand, the build is good because of its sturdiness and will be comfortable to use on an even floor.
Another of the good aspects is the seat – it is well-padded and very wide, which is not something that is common to many upright bikes. It can also fit anyone unless you prefer using a firm seat that is smaller – so be sure to keep this in mind when going for it.
- Very affordable option
- Magnetic resistance so has a quiet operating mechanism
- It can support a wide range of user weights
- Easy to store due to compact design
- Easy to assemble
- Does not have as many features as other bikes
- The parts are not as high-quality
- The flywheel is too lightweight
Despite its price, there are many good things going for the Exerpeutic folding bike, chief being the easy assembling and the detailed manual. You just need to ensure you follow the instructions correctly, and use it in the right conditions to get the most out of its use – and it will serve you well.
EXERPEUTIC ExerWorK 1000 desk folding exercise bike – best in value for your money
This is one interesting option because it is not just a folding recumbent bike – it even acts as a working desk, which is good news if you are working a desk job and still want to keep an active lifestyle.
- Sliding desktop that is adjustable for both standing and sitting situations
- Five height adjustments between 41” and 45”, as well as three angle adjustments – 33, 16 and 0 degrees
- Thick AirSoft seat that is extra comfortable, and can fit user heights between 5’1” and 6’3”
- Weight capacity of 300 lbs.
- Footprint of 21.3” L by 25.5” W when folded
- Magnetic tension system, 8 resistance levels
Among the distinctive features of the bike is the addition of an adjustable desktop that has quite generous amounts of space, and it is possible to adjust the desktop angle by three degrees. It also includes a desk under it, which you can utilize as a standing desk when you are not working out.
It comes with a magnetic tension system with 8 resistance levels, which is similar to all other Exerpeutic exercise bikes. The other common standard is the addition of the LCD monitor, which has a small display but can show you basic information regarding your workout data – displaying heart rate, speed, distance and time.
The bike has a 3-piece crank system that will provide you with a smooth riding experience, while the steel frame ensures durability. The portability is not something to worry about too much, even though it can be quite heavy after folding since it has two front wheels that can help in easier mobility. The maximum user weight it can work with is up to 300 pounds.
- It is very affordable
- Comfortable seating
- The pedaling motion is smooth and quiet
- Very easy to use
- Efficient in space
- The backrest is quite thin
- LCD screen is small
- Lacks an extensive range of built-in programs
This bike is great for individuals that live or operate in small spaces, as the design is easy to fold and compact. The benefits it offers make it a great choice if you are considering an entry-level bike, and will also work for you if you want to continue multitasking.
What to consider when choosing a folding recumbent bike
Sturdiness of the bike
Regardless of the specific brand and type of exercise bike you are going for, it is important to think about stability and sturdiness. The bikes that are portable and small have a tendency to be the lowest in their stability, while those that are bigger have greater stability.
If you are going to participate in very challenging workouts or you happen to be a large-bodied rider, then you will need to go for bikes that can handle that. It may force you to sacrifice on portability, size and weight, but this will be better in the long term.
Ease of setting up
If you are purchasing and using a folding bike, you are likely to have a desire of saving time and space – which is something other bikes will not necessarily give you. Instead, the other bikes will leave you fumbling around for some time every time you are setting them up.
If time is a major concern on your end, then you will need to select a bike that is easy to use and quick to set up within less than a minute, even if it is in a folded state.
This might not seem important, but it is a good idea to consider your own fitness level before purchasing an exercise bike.
If you are looking for a low-impact workout, you will choose a different model than someone who is a professional athlete. In the same way, there are bikes available for older people, people recovering from injuries, and so on – you will find multiple models that cater to your requirements.
Resistance levels and types
All stationary bikes have several resistance types. They are:
- Flywheel resistance – this is not very common, because the design of the bikes is not practical. The flywheel in this case is very large and heavy (at least 50 lbs.), so the bike itself is very heavy.
- Friction resistance – quite common among serious cyclists and workout enthusiasts. The bike uses brakes, which then determine the difficulty level when pedaling, which allows for a wide range of resistance levels. However, they generate a lot of noise and are not good choices when using them in the home.
- Magnetic resistance – the most popular among indoor exercise bikes, and it uses magnets that create resistance. Unlike the friction resistance bikes, they do not require maintenance, and they are quiet in their operation. They will not work for you if you are looking for a very high-quality training bike though.
Seat and backrest
This is one factor you must never compromise on when looking at the best recumbent bikes in general, but more so in this case. The best bikes will have a seat with as much padding as possible, which adds to the comfort levels and increase the desire to exercise.
There are numerous seat designs in the market, so your choice depends on flexibility and needs. Some seats will take a more ergonomic design, even though they are smaller, while others have a large area to work with. Other features such as armrests provide extra stability, which can also be a good help.
There are plenty of things to consider when you are going for a folding recumbent bike. The most important things to keep in mind are doing plenty of research, and choosing one that will give the most benefits when you are working out.